In the senior classroom we completed science experiments to do with Carbon Dioxide. The first experiment we undertook was making carbon dioxide gas. We put bicarbonate of soda and vinegar into a plastic bottle. Next we put two straws together to make passage for the gas to pass through. Then we filled a glass with water and put food colouring in the water so we could see the gas in the form of bubbles.
Another experiment we did was to show how a candle needs oxygen to stay alight. So we filled a basin with water until it was about a quarter full. Then we stuck a candle to the bottom of the basin, lit it and then put a glass on top of it. If a candle doesn’t have oxygen, it will quench.
The last experiment we did was making a fire extinguisher. Firstly we put 5 tablespoons of vinegar into a plastic bottle. Next we lit a small candle. Then we poured half a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda in with the vinegar. We needed to cover it very with our hand so that the gas wouldn’t escape. Next we held the bottle sideways above the candle, be we needed to be careful not to pour any of the foamy liquid out of the bottle. Your candle should quench when the gases are released from the bottle.
It was an exciting day. J
By Chloe and Saoirse, 5th class J